Once a radio network is built and launched, it is vital to monitor and analyze its performance, quality characteristics and provide effective network configuration parameters in order to continually improve performance.
MERA has gained vast experience in design, implementation, testing, support and integration of the following solutions with Network Management System (NMS):
- components of real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting software platform designed by Tier 1 vendor for 2G, 2.5G, 3G, HSPA+ and LTE networks;
- multi-technology offline network planning and configuration product ;
- statistical non-real time GSM / UMTS network analysis warehouse ;
- UMTS network troubleshooting product ;
- 3GPP compliant northbound FM / PM / CM interfaces implementation for GSM, UMTS networks;
- various network monitoring, performance analysis and troubleshooting tools:
- protocol analyzers including elements of Deep Packet Inspection (DPI),
- message decoders,
- performance monitors,
- post-processing algorithms.
MERA possesses experience to utilize the following source information from the network elements and probes:
- counters, timings;
- radio interface probe packets;
- two-dimensional Radio measurement distributions;
- CIBGT distributions;
- call(path) / object traces;
- call drop / failure records;
- UE traces.
MERA played an active role in such analytical features development as:
- real-time QoS / QoE monitoring;
- UE positioning and tracking including IMEI-IMSI mapping;
- neighboring relations analysis including cell detection with frequency, distance, usage ranking;
- handover parameters analysis including early/late handovers detections, ping-pong distribution;
- radio conditions measurement distributions including Interference analysis;
- call drops / failures statistics per cause, per area;
- deep dive troubleshooting including configurable call state machine with pre-defined patterns and scenarios;
- cross-technology semantic checks for configuration verification;
- detailed single call playback (per event) with full NAS decoding;
- effective configuration parameters provisioning.
Network parameters control mechanism requires objectively defined Performance Indicators (PIs) and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) that unambiguously tell whether performance is improving or deteriorating, covering all aspects of radio network activities. MERA implementation expertise covers:
- cell parameters and Active set changes;
- RRC connections;
- Call Drops;
- triggered events;
- handovers, reselections;
- RAB & Radio bearers;
- radio links;
- Security Mode control.
MERA played key role in designing network visualization components for both desktop and web user interfaces (UI).
- Adaptive network topology view with
- meta model driven view;
- advanced cache techniques to handle huge configurations.
- Full-featured GIS view with:
- configurable tiles provider;
- offline tiles cache;
- multiple layers (incl. transparency option);
- scaling features from Regional Operational Center (ROC) to Cell zoom levels;
- detailed cell configuration parameters;
- area radio conditions supporting drive test information import;
- metrics, performance indicators on the map plane.
- Configurable dashboards with real-time widgets, indicators, alerters, thresholds.
- Reporting engine:
- exhaustive schedule mechanism;
- metrics and attributes definition;
- several data aggregation levels: time period (hour, day, etc.), network element;
- drill down mechanism;
- interlink workflows.